Category Archives: Thinking Outloud
This is opinion based content, sometimes speculative. Wish-lists, rants, raves, comparisons, favorite games, etc.
The Nintendo Switch just finished it’s 2nd Year of availability, and it is undoubtedly a huge success. We continue to hear about the device breaking sales records and it seems like every week new games and more support are announced. But besides sales, how was Year 2 for the Switch? I wanted to go back and Grade the releases by Nintendo, the support and releases by Third Parties, the Indies games released, and the Services and Systems Updates the system got throughout the year.Read the rest of this entry
I do not doubt at all that my system has flaws in it and someone can come along and pick it apart and tell me why it doesn’t work for them, that’s fine. I just figure if I’m going to post reviews and score games, I should at least give some explanations to how my scoring works.
My reviews and scores are based on my personal experiences I had with the game, sometimes that may result in some outlier scores, but I believe this is how reviews should be done. I also like to keep my reviews short, and to the point. I feel as all it really boils down to is the game good, average, or bad, and that’s how I score them.
Pretty much any game I play or review, I have an interest in it. Most likely, I also purchased the game (I don’t receive review copies), and I only want to spend my time and money on games I am interested in. I find it very frustrating to read a game review from someone who has no interest in the genre, or series and had to begrudgingly play the game. Readers read reviews for games they’re interested in playing, they want that reviewer to be interested too, with similar tastes. Even if I spend my own money, or I’m a fan of a series/genre, I can acknowledge when a game falls short of expectations or isn’t very good…this doesn’t mean everything gets good scores.
I do not doubt at all that my system has flaws in it and someone can come along and pick it apart and tell me why it doesn’t work for them, that’s fine. I just figure if I’m going to post reviews and score games, I should at least give some explanations to how my scoring works.Read the rest of this entry
I’m not the best 2K player, but I do feel like my progress, and my enjoyment is being crippled by a greed to sell me microtransactions with in-game currency. The game has become a grind. I did not play much of the 2K series from 2K6 – 2K17, only a few hours from a couple of them. Last year however, I put in over 150 hours into NBA 2K18. I became aware of the grind for VC (Virtual Currency) then, but it appears to be even worse in 2K19.Read the rest of this entry
It’s easy to figure out where “Retro Gaming” begins, but where does it end? Where do we draw the line that defines retro gaming, and gaming outside of the current generation? The definition of “retro” in the Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it in relation to fashion, but says “relating to, reviving, or being the styles and especially the fashions of the past : fashionably nostalgic or old-fashioned“. All this leaves us with is a very vague “of the past” or “nostalgic” to apply towards Retro Gaming.Read the rest of this entry
Updated: Was updated to change Super Mario Maker from possible to doubtful after the announcement of Super Mario Maker 2
As many Wii U owners are aware, Nintendo has ported a lot of their Wii U line-up to the Switch. Besides filling in gaps in the release Switch’s release schedule, these titles have now been introduced to a larger audience (due to Switch being a bigger success) and also have the ability to be played fully portable. For the most part, these ports are the “definitive” versions of these games.
Looking at what’s already been ported, and what’s left over on the Wii U, I thought it’d be fun to look and see what other Nintendo games might get ported from the Wii U.
There is a Nintendo Direct coming, and I’m sure some of these will pop-up, so I will update this after those announcements happen.
All of these Nintendo published games have already been ported for the Wi U onto the Switch. Most of them actually sold better on the Switch than their original Wii U release despite not much new content being added to them. Here is the full list of Nintendo Wii U Ports
- Bayonetta / Bayonetta 2 – This is mostly the same as the Wii U versions but they’ve added some amiibo support
- Captain Toad Treasure Tracker – New Super Mario Odyssey themed levels (New Donk City) were added, and the Super Mario 3D World levels were removed.
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze – The infamouse New Funky Kong Mode was added, this allows something of an “easy mode” by using Funky Kong, who is invincible
- Hyrule Warriors – 2Player Co-op is now playable in split-screen, where as on the Wii U you had to use the TV and GamePad for different players.
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – This version includes all of the DLC from Mario Kart 8 plus some other additions: 6 new characters, 4 karts, gameplay tweaks and brand new Battle Modes which fills a huge void that was in the Wii U version
- New Super Mario Bros Deluxe – Mostly the same as the New Super Mario Bros U + New Super Luigi U combo for Wii U but this version adds Toadette / Peachette which make the game easier to play similar to Funk Kong in DKCTF.
- Pokken Tournament DX – This version adds 5 new characters plus later 2 more were released through DLC
For various reasons that I’ll explain, I think these games have a pretty high chance of getting ported to the Switch. None of these have been announced for the Switch at this point, but some of them have been rumored.
- Pikmin 3 – Back in 2015 Miyamoto said the next Pikmin was “near completion”, in a later statement Nintendo confirmed that “Pikmin 4” was in development. When Miyamoto said the “next” Pikmin, maybe he was referring to Hey! Pikmin for the 3DS which hadn’t been announced yet. Regardless, I’m sure most agree that Nintendo wouldn’t have referred to that game directly as Pikmin 4 though. Why does this matter? Because this likely means Pikmin 4 is coming to the Switch, and if that doesn’t happen in 2019, I wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo snuck in a Pikmin 3 port to hold us over another year or too. In my opinion, Pikmin 3 was at a Super Mario, Legend of Zelda, Metroid level of quality and polish. If Pikmin 4 is announced for 2019, then I think the chances of a Pikmin 3 port drops to very doubtful.
- Super Mario 3D World – This was such a great Super Mario game and it goes very under appreciated. There was an unfortunate cluster of complaints around this game because it wasn’t a “real” 3D Mario, and it wasn’t like Galaxy (or the eventual Odyssey). I also was part of the group that wanted a Galaxy 3 more than a sequel to 3D Land, but I was wrong. Super Mario 3D World is my favorite Wii U game and is by far the best co-op Super Mario game out there. The game’s style allows unique level design you don’t get in the Galaxy/Odyssey types, or in the 2D “New” games. This is sure to sell, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we see this sometime late 2019. I’m also hopeful we get a sequel at some point too.
Thinking Out Loud is a new section here on the site that will cover content that is mainly based on opinion. I want to emphasis that since this is opinion based, I’m sure plenty of people won’t agree and sometimes what I think might be unpopular. I’m sure there will be plenty of times this content will be completely tied to my own personal experiences.
There will be a variety of posts, some of them might be a prediction list, and I’m by no means claiming a leak or guaranteeing I will be correct, I’m just “thinking out loud” about what I’m speculating. Some posts might explain be a wish list of remasters I’d like to see, or maybe an idea I have for a new game or sequel, but again, it’s just what I”m thinking about in gaming and what I want to share.
I wanted to explain this so readers would be able to understand that while there may be some facts in what I say here, a lot of it will be opinion, speculation, or even “dreaming”. We all have our different tastes, different wish lists, pet peeves, enjoyments and ways of perceiving things. I don’t want to argue, I want to document what I’m thinking, and share it, and if you want to discuss it with me, feel free to comment here, contact me on Twitter or come join the Discord Group. Enjoy!