This is one of the best games for the original Game Boy and it’s a big step up from the original Super Mario Land. Bowser is again absent as the main antagonist, but in his place we get the debut of Wario! The visuals and music are up to par with the Mario series, and we even get some new power-ups like the Carrot.
The carrot gives the player Bunny Ears and lets Mario fly over a level easily (a little too easy). As a GameBoy Mario, this game was incredible for it’s time. Compared to the rest of the Mario series, the levels are a bit short and easy (besides the final level) and the game itself is short enough it can be completed 100% in a 2 hours or less. Still a great GameBoy game.
- Mario is my favorite franchise ever.
- I played and beat this when it originally came out, and I replayed it to the end again in March 2019
- I previously looked back at this as a possible top 3 side scrolling Mario game, but after my recent play through I recognize that is untrue due to limitations of the GameBoy and the shorter/easier levels.
- Physical Copy (Cartridge Only)
- 3DS Digital Copy
Super Mario Odyssey delivers greatness that goes right alongside the best games in the franchises’s history. I personally believe Super Mario Odyssey is the best game available on the Switch. The worlds are stuffed with moons to find and other challenges to do. After “beating” a world, more content unlocks within that world, and when you beat the game, even more content is added to those worlds. This is probably the largest Mario game ever.
There are no regular power-ups, no fire flowers, no raccoon leaf’s etc, but you use your hat to possess over 50 different things. These possessions fill the void of no power-ups, as they will enable you to do abilities like fly and shoot fire among other things. The range of abilities, puzzles, platforming and the large amount of content are everything a Mario fan would want. This is a must-have for all Switch owners.
- Super Mario series is my favorite game series/franchise
- I’ve beaten every Super Mario game
- I own all of the mainline Mario games
- Picked this up at launch, took me a little over 2 months to beat the main campaign. I recently picked it back up to do the post-game content and finished the final-final level. I still have about 400 Moons to get!
- Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) – Physical